Now that the previous studies have shown us that Sabbath is God’s true day of worship, how did Sunday Observance begin?
1. What was Satan’s ambition?
To be higher than God, and to take over all heaven
2. When men turned from worshiping God, what did they worship?
Deuteronomy 17:3, Jeremiah 10:2
They idolised everything else, making false gods and worshipping them, as well as the moon, the sun and the stars.
3. What was the particular god of all heathen worship? Who was ultimately being worshipped?
Exodus 32:1-8, 16, 17
This passage tells us a large number turned and worshipped the sun. The golden calf was the Egyptian sun god called Apis which they worshipped and which the Israelites became familiar with while they were in slavery in Egypt. Ultimately, we know that these false gods which the passages describe were made, are not of the true God, and thus are of Satan instead – anything opposing God’s ways and laws are of evil origin. As part of Satan’s ambition, he wanted to be like God and be worshipped also.
4. When God’s own people, Israel, turned from Him, what did they do?
2 Kings 23:4-5, Jeremiah 7:17-19, 9, 10; Ezekiel 6:4
They began to make false gods and idols, and worshipped them. Not only were these idols of the sun, the moon and stars, they gave offerings, burned incense and gave sacrifices to these idols also.
5. What day was dedicated to sun worship? How was God’s Sabbath treated after they introduced sun worship?
Ezekiel 20:13, 16, 24
“Sun-day, so called because this day was anciently dedicated to the sun, or to its worship.” – Webster’s Dictionary
Turning to worship other idols on a different day of the week completely went against God’s laws and decrees, and showed complete disregard for the Sabbath. They had completely wrote it out of their living.
6. When Christ was on earth, did the heathen still worship the sun? What day then did Jesus and all His associated observe?
At that time, Rome was the super power which ruled the world, which meant that sun worship was the principle form of worship. Jesus however kept the true seventh-day Sabbath, as we discovered in the previous studies. And it was still many many centuries through time before Christian churches observed the Sunday worship day.
7. What change the did the apostle Paul say would come over the church?
2 Thessalonians 2:3, 4
A rebellion would come, causing much confusion and lawlessness among the people of the earth. This change is clearly evident these days, with many questions surrounding some people regarding the Sabbath, the day of worship and what God expects from everyone.
8. From what would the church fall & what would come into the church as a result?
Acts 20:29, 30; 2 Peter 2:1,2; 2 Thessalonians 2:3
The church would fall from the standard of the Word of God, causing rebellion and allowing Satan’s plan of confusion to dwell in the church. Confusion in the church will only lead to straying and disobedience from God’s way.
9. What would this power attempt to do? Who claim to have changed the Sabbath to Sunday?
To change the law of God. The Catholic church has stated several times that it claims to have authority and enough divinity to change the Word of God and the laws set out since the beginning of time, which are not referenced to expire. There are many citings in Catholic writings including “The History of the Christian Church” and “Chambers’ Encylopaedia” which confirm their admission to changing their day of worship from the seventh-day to the first day.